Electricity and the Body
Muscle cells can Generate potential differences
- Between the inside of a cell and the outside there is a poetential differnce
- These can be measured with needle electrodes.
- Resting potential of a muscle cell is -70V
An electromyography machine detects electrical signals in the muscle
- used for identifying problems
- used as a training tool (help people walk again)
EMGs meausre the Action Potentials of the Heart
When the heart beats an action potential passes through the artia, making them contract. A secound later, an action potential passes through the ventricles, making them contract to.
P) Arium contracts QRS) Ventrical contracts & Arium rests T) Ventrical rests