- Secondary socialisation (learning of wider social values, roles, statuses, norms)
- Social control
- Historical development in England and Wales:
- 1870 Elementary Education Act (Forster)
- 1918 Education Act (Fisher)
- 1944 Education Act (Butler): Tripartite system. Based on work of Burt.
- Grammar (academic)
- Secondary Modern (practical, general, non-academic)
- Technical (practical, higher level) - not fully implemented
- 1965 Circular 10/65 (Comprehensive schooling)
- 1975 Williams (Labour): Widespread introduction of Comprehensive schooling
- 1980 Education Act (Assisted Places scheme)
1988 Education Reform Act (National Curriculum, Key Stage testing, Local Management of Schools, Grant-maintained status ("opting-out").
1 of 1