- imabic pentametre (like the beat of a drum)
-3 simple regular stanzas links to the innocence of the boy
-last 2 lines always reference to stars suggesting idea of fate
1-2 drummer hodge
'they throw' = nameless force creates distance
-brutal yet casual suggests lack of respect
- ironic with the way they dispose of him
'uncoffined - just as found'
- like an object
'foreign constellations west'
- stresses the distance
'his mound' =insignificant
- primitave, not a real grave
'young Hodge the Drummer never knew'
- emphasises how young and naive he was
'fresh from his Wessex home'
- again suggesting his age and youth
- mixed register as in a different language
'the dusty loam'
- contrasts with 'fresh'
'strange stares amid the gloam'
- suggests his unfamiliarity
- emphasises his death lying on ground looking up at stars
- emphasisng distance and unfamiliarity
'his homely Northen breast and brain grows to some southern tree'
- simple boy - sense of place
-'northern' and 'southern' suggest great distance - conflicting
'strange eyed constellations reign'
- 'reign' government - people are just political puppets
- suggests the secureness that he will never leave