- Created by: HarryS02
- Created on: 23-05-20 12:40
Does Mary deserve the title Bloody Mary?
- Before any punishment, 800 protestants exciled England under the reign of Mary
- December 1554, heresy laws were reintroduced in England, trials and executions of those who refused to accept Catholic beliefes began
How effective were the burnings?
- People were identified through heresy commissions, led to visitations by bishops to identify heretics
- Tried by bishops, life was spared if you showed remorse and promised to change your views
- BUT, if you did not show remorse, you were condemned to death by flames
Did the burnings work?
- Administrative problems, some executions had to be followed up and questions were asked as to why they hadn't taken place
- 280 heretics burnt at the stake in 46 months, 51 women, 5 bishops
- Smithfield, Canterbury, Colchester and Oxford were common burning sites
- Cranmer burnt at the stake, March 1556
- Gardiner's death led to mnore burnings; Gardiner was initially restraining from burnings