- Created by: molly_axx
- Created on: 07-01-19 08:46
What to look at:
- 17 loci.
- Each loci has 2 short tandem repeats.
- Variations in length called alleles.
- 32 number string.
- Sex markers.
Removal of DNA from source- may need care if sample is old/small.
Polymerase Chain Reaction- biological photocopier, makes copies of sample DNA to increase samaple to testing size.
DNA is run through a gel which acts as a biological sieve and separates DNA by size- smaller fragments travel faster than larger ones.
Obtaining the profile
- Number from DNA compared to number from reference sample.
- Match presented as a probability.
- If no match, sample put on NDNAD.
- Very small amounts of DNA can use Low Copy Number (LCN) or Low Template (LT) DNA.
- Same process but more PCR cycles.
- Mitochondrial DNA for degraded bones and teeth- more stable and lasts longer.
- Use samples collected from relatives.
- mtDNA from Mitochondrial DNA Profiling.
- Targets Y chromosomes with STR alleles.
- Small amounts of male DNA.