Robertson and Bolwby (1952)
To see what the short-term effects were of deprivation.
Observed the behaviours of children placed in residential nurseries because their mothers had to be away.
The children showed 3 progressive reactions:
1. protest stage cried and called for mother
2. despair stage cried now and then & lost interest in surroundings
3. detachment stage appeared to recover & take more interest in surroundings but lost interest in mother when she returned
- Young children should be taken away from mother as least as possible
- If unavoidable the child's emotional/physical needs should be catered for
- They should be prepared sensitively to help cope with separation e.g. meeting the people who will be looking after them