Many organisations now sell their products and services via the internet, taking payment by credit or debit card card.
- Allows for a global market to be reached
- Customer information is also easily collected to target offers and promotions.
- it is attractive to customers as they can order from home, saving time and hassle in shopping.
- However, many customers fear using the internet to purchase their products as some sites are insecure regarding credit card details.
- Some products are also often more expensive to purchase over the internet than in the high street due to the extra cost of postage and packaging.
This involves a company posting promotional letters, brochures, leaflets about its products or services to homes and workplaces. These can then be ordered by post or over the telephone.
- Customers within certain market segments can be targeted
- Can reach customers in a wide geographical area
- However, some customers do not like the vast amount of mail they receive 'junk mail'
- Mailing lists of potential customers can become out of date quickly so mail goes to the wrong people - costing the company extra money and possibly upsetting these people.