ALL substances are made of particles.
Particles are too small to see without microscopes.
Probes have been developed that can sense forces between particles.
1 of 2
- Diffusion - The movement of particles in a gas or liquid from high to low concentration.
- Molecules diffuse DOWN the concentration gradient. They become LESS concentrated.
- High concentration is when there are a lot of the same particles near eachother, and low concentration is when they are more spread out.
- When you can smell food coming from the kitchen, the particles are diffusing through the air from the kitchen and reaching where you are.
- The particles do not consciously move to a lower concentration, this is the average movement over time. Particles move randomly.
- Eventually, the particles will spread evenly through their container.
2 of 2