- Created by: iiStevey
- Created on: 21-05-19 18:27
Concerns about Diversity (New Right)
- New Right theorists see diversity as destroying traditional family values as they don't function effectively i.e. lone-parent & reconstituted.
- Leads to poor socialisation and a stable family life not being provided.
- Ignores the darkside of families especially nuclear families which New Right perpectives favour.
- Many nuclear families can be abusive with the highest amount of abuse cases coming from this family type.
1 of 5
Support for Diversity (Giddens)
- There has been more freedom and equality with relationships as individuals are no longer forced into relationships but only engage with them when they find them fulfilling.
- E.G. women can opt out of marriage / single handly raise children and be homosexual.
- Although freedom exists, the nuclear family is the prodominate and most popular family type still despire declining numbers showing many still share the need to be in a nuclear family and feel it is the most ideal household type.
2 of 5
Persistence of Patriarchy (Wendy Langford)
- Has the idea that although love can be a liberating experience, they end up feeling alienated.
- This is because feminists argue women put more emotional investment into relationshops but do not reccieve the intimacy and connection in return.
- This feminist argument is focused only on male and female relationships meaning it isn't viable for other family types such as same sex and lone parent.
- These alternative family types get to choose their roles and responsibilites.
3 of 5
Neo-Conventional Family (Robert Chester)
- Argues that most families aspire the nuclear family and although may not fully represent the traditional model of a nuclear family, they follow themes of it.
- Described as neo-conventional families, they can share roles and be in same-sex etc but they all still aspire the model of a two parent family raising children.
- Can be argued as outdated sociological work as his study was based on the 1981 Census - other sociologists would argue that society has progressed even further since study with even more diversity and popular family types.
4 of 5
Continuities in Family Life
- The mass media potrays the nuclear family as the norm especially with advertising.
- Public are conditioned to see this 'cereal packet' ideology where women are domesticated performing socialisation and supporting the husband who returns from work.
- The media as a platform is now used to promote more diverse family types with content showing off same sex and non-nuclear types.
- Removes the exectations in society that we should conform to the nuclear ideology and the increased coverage makes it more accepted.
5 of 5