- Created by: susana96
- Created on: 20-04-15 11:56
- Thaw wasn’t coherent policy, liberal reforms quickly modified.
- Only literature that served purpose to regime allowed e.g. DoctorZhivago banned, yet those criticising Stalin accepted.
- Stalinist zeal in persecution of Jews continued, church discouraged
- Dissident writers imprisoned and harassed despite no declarationof political prisoners
- Party determined acceptable expression, standard arbitrary e.g.Khrushchev close abstract art exhibition.
- KGB active and popular surveillance persisted (Stalinist)
1 of 4
What is de-stalanisation?
- Term coined in 70’s to describe Khrushchev attempt to eradicate Stalin, refers to either:
- Secret Speech, condemn S’s excesses- Moderate reforms embarked upon and concessions e.g. cultural freedoms
- NOTE: no intention to destroy system, he believed in fundamental aspects of Stalinism, just wanted to stop repression that characterised Stalin’s regime, resulted to be contribution factor to his downfall.
2 of 4
- De-stalinisation conveyed opportunity for satellite sates to reform own polical systems, wasn't K's intentio, led to brutal treatment in Hungary Uprising to reinforce order= ineffective buffers.
- Caused deterioration of relation with China as they saw K as weak
- Weakened own position, growing criticism from dissidents; prevailed until fall, & call for social reconstruction (unintended).
- Led to conservative opposition, angered they hindered reform.
- Discouraged successors to reform, led to overcautious conservatism.
3 of 4
Action of De-Stalinisation
- Reform Communism, cultural reforms & the Thaw, eg= reduced censorship on literature- one day in the life of Ivan Denisovish & radio more accessible.
- New civil liberties; couldn't be covicted on own confessions (anti Stalinist method of torture) death penalty restricted & comrade courts intriduced.
- Greater investment in light industry & agriculture - Virgin Land Schemes.
- Stalin's stamp removed Stalingrad renamed Volgograd & statues pulled down, reburied.
- Released political prisoners & rehabilitated Great Terror victims,showedliberal tendency & Leninist nature, not unchallenged totalitarian control of Stalin.
4 of 4