Why is Cuba a Problem
- Run by Batista up to 1959
- Batista is practically a puppet of America and very disliked by the Cubans.
- USA is unhappy with Castro taking power.
This is because America fear a communist Cuba for economic reasons (lots of US money invested in Cuba), for military reasons (Communism near USA) and politically (Containment)
How does the USA react?
- Castro taken over and removed US business and taken over old US land.
- USA stop $1bn worth of sugar trade and tobacco trade with Cuba.
- This causes Cuba to develop links with the USSR
- Close the embassy
This all pushes Cuba more towards Russia and communism for help.
What happens because of the bay of pigs
- Russia sends troops, advisers and nukes to Cuba.
- The US make it clear they won't tolerate nukes on Cuba
- The USSR say they won't build any
- The USSR build nuclear missile silos and SAM sites
Why send missiles to Cuba
- JFK was weak after the failed bay of pigs invasion.
- to defend Castro
- to use as a bargaining chip
- Russian missiles are short range
- In response to nukes in turkey
USA's reaction to the Cuban missile crisis
- The US spot the Silos from a U2 spy plane.
- Kennedy forms a group called Ex-comm to discuss the options
- Kennedy decides to blockade Cuba as this would not start a war
- Khrushchev sends a letter to Kennedy about removing the missiles
- Kennedy agree's and pretends not to have received the letter
Why use a blockade
- Avoid war
- not humiliating for Khrushchev to back down
- The blockade bought the US time