- Created by: lwilson23
- Created on: 15-02-19 11:04
- 'no more than a glorified anecdote'
- 'Only Gatsby himself genuinely lives and breathes'
- 'Their idiotic pursuit of sensation' (in relation to the lives of the rich)
THE PINK ELEPHANT, THE GUARDIAN:
- 'a reflection on the hollowness of a life of leisure'
- 'Gatsby wants to create a beautiful future by restoring the past'
- 'Fitzgerald highlights the horrors of being a careless person'
- Fitzgerald explores 'our enormous capacity to dream, to imagine, to hope and to persevere.'
Critical Viewpoints Continued
- 'Fitzgerald's desriptions are terse, vivid and surprising'
- 'the decay of souls is most tragic'
Lenses which may be Applied to the Text
- feminsit critic may be used to view the position of women in the world in which the novel is set.
- marxist critic can be applied whenever the deep class divide presented by the Valley of Ashes is discussed - injustices to the most vulnerable members of society.