- Reasons for why crime might not be recorded:
- For crime to be reported police must know about it.
- Some victims are unaware of crime (small children)
- Some complaints are not answered for more private matter such as domestic violence at a school, college or university.
- Some deviators may become victims themselves (Drug dealer get beaten up while selling drugs)
- Some crimes may be embarrassing, victims are reluctant to report.
- Some crimes may not be reported as victims wants to protect their image.
- Why are some crime statistics exaggerated? :
- Radical prejudices against a certain group of people.
- To cover-up more serious problems such as political treason or scandals (Create a moral panic as a distraction)
- Make an example of a crime an where society needs to improve.
- To create media impact.
- Draws the attention of the police.
- Reality is too simple- therefore leading to exaggeration.
- To show the police is doing its job
- Human error.
1 of 1