Consequences of the Soviet Invasion of Afghanistan
- Carter promised military aid to all countries that bordered Afghanistan (Rapid Deployment Force - can intervene at very short notice)
- Assistance would be given to the Mujahideen who were fighting the USSR.
- The USA cancelled all shipments of grain to the USSR.
- All trade with the USSR was stopped completely.
- US companies selling high-tech equipment in the USSR were banned.
- USA boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics and held their own 'Liberty Bell Classic' with 60 other countries instead.
- Carter asked the Senate to delay the passing of SALT 2 - it was never ratified.
1 of 1
Similar History resources: