- Created by: abikohen
- Created on: 08-05-14 14:07
Communications technologies in different devices
Mobile phones: GSM-4G, WiFi, Mini USB port, Bluetooth.
Laptop: Wifi, Bluetooth, Ethernet port, USB port, Firewire port.
communication technologies working together
The mobile phone and the laptop are compatible becuase they both have USB drives, can communicate via WiFi and have Bluetooth technology.
Many digital devices are converging: performing functions that were originally peformed by different devices, eg: phone with a camera.
A device that can perform several functions is called a multifunctional device.
Bandwidth and latency
Bandwidth and latency
Bandwidth: measure of capacity
- number of bits that can go through the network connection in 1 second.
- measured in BPS ( bits per second )
Latency: measurment of delay
- the time in milliseconds between a bit leaving one device and arriving at the other
- for streaming videos you need a high bandwidth, otherwise your video will kepp pausing and your computer waits for more bits to arrive
- to get quick google results you need a low latency, information if travelling in both directions so it needs to arrive quickly.
Peer to Peer networks
Peer to peer networks
when digital devices communicate wirelessly with each other directly without the need for a transmitter between them.
Devices used to communicate with each other through a transmitter : a wireless access point when using WiFi and a mobile phone mast when using mobile broadband.
WiFi Direct :new technology allows devices to connect directly using WiFi without the need for a wireless access point.
- allows users to set up peer to peer networks
- also allows the device to use an access point for normal WiFi use.
- allows devices to communicate automatically when within range
- can connect up to 8 devices at the same time
- low power so does not interfere with other devices
Physical security risks
physical security risks
Physical accses to data
Data is at risk becuase people can physically access your computer and steal it. To prevent this you can press the lock button when you leave your computer unattended so it requires a password to be entered to use it again.
Preventing theft of equipment
Chains and lock can be used to fix the equipment to the table also using locks and bolts on doors. Radio frequency Identification chips can be used in lables attached to items, then a scanner can read the chip and identify the product.
Keeping people out in big buissnesses
- install burglar alarms
- install CCTV inside and out
- fit doors with security keypads
- Issure swipe cards
- Fit blinds so people cant see in
- Fingerprint scanner ( biometrics)