Causes of Conflict
- Important resources
- to gain more land
- to defend their country against attack
- nuclear weapons
- way of life - races, human rights, money
A Just War is not the name of a war but a type of war.
- must be fought by a legal authority
- must be fair
- must aim to establish good over evil
- must seem as if the war will be won without too many deaths
- must be a last resort (after all negotiations have failed)
- must try not to involve innocent people
Terrorism is when groups use violence or the threat, to achieve their aims rather than using a democratic process. Violence is used to create fear.
Causes of Terrorism:
- Political, social and economic inequality.
- Economic problems and high unemployment.
- Religious extremism (strongly held religious views which do not accept any other views as valid.)
- Ethnic conflict.
- 'Do not kill'
- 'Blessed are the peacemakers' - blessed people are peaceful. the best people
- Arms Race - many countries have nuclear weapons e.g. Britain, France, etc.
Nuclear war - a war in which the participants use nuclear weapons. Mass destruction. Everything within a few miles of the bomb would be incinerated.
Causes of Crime
- drugs (stealing the money)
- mentally ill
- religious beliefs
Aims of Punishment
- Reform - people think punishment should be aimed at reform the criminal so they become honest.
- Protection - many people feel society should be protected from violent criminals, so they a no longer a danger to people.
- Deterrence - people think punishment should be very severe to stop people from committing crimes.
- Retribution - many people think punishment should make criminals pay for their crime.
Types of Punishment
- points on your license
- sex offenders list
- community service
- it protects civilians and police
- some 'lifers' are back on the streets in a few years.
- it puts off potential murders.
- the law should be based on "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth."
- Quote = "anyone who takes the life of a human being is to be put to death."
- in the past, the wrong person has been hanged.
- death penalty is murder
- society turns the executioner into a murderer.
- terrorists may be martyrs (heroes to other terrorists)
- Quote = "I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their evil ways."