Binary - Basics
- Computers use binary - the digits 0 and 1 - to store data.
- The smallest unit of data in computing is a binary digit, or bit.
- Binary numbers are made up of bits.
- The circuits in a computer's processor are made up of billions of transistors.
- A transistor is a tiny switch that is activated by the electronic signals it recieves.
- The digits o and 1 reflect the on and off states of a transistor.
Binary - Bits and Bytes
Bits can be grouped together to make them easier to work with.
- A group of 4 bits is called a nibble
- A group of 8 bits is called a byte
- A group of 1024 bytes is called a kilobyte
- A group of 1024 kilobytes is called a megabyte
- A group of 1024 megabytes is called a gigabyte
- A group of 1024 gigabytes is called a terabyte
Binary - test
Convert these binary codes into Base 10 numbers:
Binary - answers
Check your answers to see if you got them correct.
1. 1010 = 10
2. 10010 = 18
3. 1111 = 15
4. 1000001 = 65
5. 10011011 = 155