- Created by: Carys Walters
- Created on: 30-12-14 16:26
Commercial production of Penicillin
- The fermenter is inoculated with a culture of penicillium notatum which grows under optimum conditions provided in the fermenter
- After 30 hours the penicillin is secreted by the fungus and accumulates in the medium. There is a delay in this part of the process because penicillin is a secondary metabolite
- After 6 days the culture fluid mixture is filtered and the penicillin is extracted and purified.
- By the end of the process the culture medium, after filtering is retained and processed.
Disadvantage - the fermenter has to be emptied, cleaned and sterilised, ready for the next batch
1 of 1