- Created by: Q_
- Created on: 31-03-19 18:48
The principle that all members of the government are responsible as a group.
- Discussions in government should be kept secret.
- Decisions made in government are binding on all ministers.
- The government as a whole must resign if defeated on a vote of confidence in parliament.
INDIVIDUAL MINISTERIAL RESPONSIBILITY
The principle that ministers are accountable to parliament for their personal conduct, the general conduct of their department, the policies they and their department pursue and the actions of officials withoin their department.
Governments have redefined the convention so that ministers should not be held personally responsible for:
- Decisions made in their department without their knowledge.
- Operational matters handled by officials in departments or executive agencies.