- Created by: Raagnaros
- Created on: 22-04-15 16:38
Cold War - In 1948 the USSR and the West Disagreed
In 1948 the USSR and the West Disagreed over Berlin
- There were four zones of occupied Berlin. The USA and Britain agreed to combine their zones into a zone called Bizonia in 1947.
- The French also agreed to combine their zone with them - the new Western zone had a single government and a new currency to help economic recovery. The currency was called Deutsche Mark.
- The Soviet Union oppsed these moves. Stalin wanted to keep Germany weak - so he decided to blockade Berlin.
- Berlin was in Eastern Germany which was controlled by the USSR - so Stalin ordered that all land communication between West Berlin and the outside world should be cut off.
- West Berlin survived because of the Berlin Airlift. Between June 1948 and May 1949, the only way of obtaining supplies from the outside world was by air.
- By 1949, 8000 tons of supplies were being flown into West Berlin each day.
- Ended on the 30th of September 1949 (lasted 318 days).
- The Airlift was code named Operation Vittles.
- A plane landed every three minutes.
1 of 1