- Created by: claudcow
- Created on: 11-06-14 18:09
When are tragedies performed?
- god of drinking, wine and fun
Where do tragedies take place?
Theatre of Dionysus in Athens
circular acting area and dancing floor
the altar/raised area at the centre of the orchestra
entrances and exits either side of the orchestra
- first a tent, but later a wooden building where actors would change.
- 2 by 4 metres high
- large central doorway, upper floor was used for acting
When was the theatre of dionysus rebuilt?
- rebuilt in mid 4th century
What was seating like?
used to be wooden chairs, now stone benches
How many could it seat?
What was the order of seating?
More important, closer to the stage
What was the shape?
How did tragedy develop?
songs on mythological themes