- Created by: GabriellaHancock
- Created on: 21-11-18 11:55
- Berko and Brown
Language is innate, we all have a language acquisition device. L.A.D.
- Behaviour is learnt/taught.
- Halliday and Dore
Children must understand concepts in order to use language.
-Language is acquired through assistance (scaffolding). L.A.S.S,
- Found that children resist correction.
- Children with families with impoverished english will still use ‘correct’ grammar.
- Children make virtuous errors “I run-ed”.
there is Critical Learning Period of up to 5 years when a child can and will acquire language.
Says Chomsky is correct.
Children learn pronouns, positives + negatives in 3 stages.
Grammar + syntax wrong.
Grammar or syntax wrong.
Grammar + syntax right.
Berko and Brown
- “Fis phenomenon” children resists correction.
- children invent and use grammar themselves.
Imitation and repetition
Rules of social Behaviour and grammar.
- Children must understand meaning in language in order to utilise it.
Halliday and Dore
Look at functions of language.
How and why children use language.
- language is acquired through assistance (scaffolding).
- L.A.S.S. (language acqusition support system).
- CDS child directed speech (paralinguistics).
- Children use role-play, place + time of transcription.