- Created by: callmebubbles14
- Created on: 13-05-15 19:48
The EU has set more ambitious carbon emissions reduction targets than the pervious conventins,
- Aiming to cut emisssions by 20% from the 1990 levels by 2020
- They also wish to increase renenewable energy 20% of total energy supply
- The UK will be fned if they fail to meet these targets
The 2008 UK Climate Change Act
- Legally bining targets were set for lowering carbon emissions for the first time
- Aims to reduce 80% of greenhouse gas emisions by 2050 and atleast 34% by 2020
- Both targets are against 1990 levels
1 of 2
UK Government Action
What else were Labour doing when they were in power?
- they worked with energy suppliers to help people make their homes more energy efficient
- persuaded energy suppliers to provide for more electricity from renewable sources
- provided grants that encourage people and companies to generate their own heat and power from renewable sources
- raising tax on dumping to landfill sites, encouraging recycling as it is more financially beneficial
- setting targets for the amount of carbon dioxide businesses can emit. Busineses are given "carbon credits" and are allowed to trade them with other businesses.
What are local councils doing?
- Labour made local councils responsible for reducing carbon emissions by reducing landfill waste and issuing businesses with pollution permits
- The coalition government has scrapped this, and due to budget cuts, many councils have less means to reduce carbon dioxide emissions
- councils can do alot to contribute to a decrease in carbon emissions, such as: providing free lost insulation (to reduce heating needs), ensuring new buildings are energy efficient and using greener fuel for public transport.
2 of 2