- I am the Lord your God, you shall not have other gods before me
- You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain
- Remember the Sabbath, keep it holy
Loving your neighbour:
- Honour your father and mother
- You shall not kill
- You shall not commit adultery
- You shall not steal
- You shall not bear false witness against your neighbour
- You shall not covet your neighbour's wife
- You shall not covet your neighbour's possessions
I am the Lord you God, you shall have no other god
- God saved people so he could be worshipped and not other gods at that time (Egypt, Moses)
- Modern times; follow superstition, magic, money, power, sex. Followin this won't lead you to happiness of satisfaction. Jesus 'No sevant can serve two masters' (Luke 16:13)
- Images cannot be worshiped, statues of Jesus, Mary, Saints venerate person who is shown.
- Christians free seek truth, when found must morally obligied folow it not choose other things/gods to worship.
You shall not take the name of the Lord your God i
- Using God's name as curse/blasphemy is wrong, Jesus 'Do not swear at all' (Matthew 5:34)
- Promises as religious vow/name of God (Wedding) kept, otherwise used trivially.
Remember the Sabbath, to keep it holy
- Jesus understood importance for humans, Jesus 'The Sabbath was made for man, not man for Sabbath' (Mark 2:27)
- Christ's resurrection on Sunday, called Day of Lord.
- Sunday, Mass celebrated. Worship, Prayer, Bible, Holy Communion.
- Family life and health, rest and leisure, caring sick/elderly.
Honour Father and Mother
- Children owe respect, parents brought into world.
- Adult sons/daughters care old parents and support when ill, lonely or old.
You shall not kill
- 'Killing threatens peace and Christians are called to be peacemakers' (Matthew 5:9)
- Forbids, murder, abortion, euthanasia, suicide.
- Legitimate to defend life, even if involves killing.
- State execution should not be necessary except when there is a grave threat to human life that cannot be prevented through imprisonment.
You shall not commit adultery
- Chastity = moral virtue. In control of human freedom, acting modestly/considerately. Requires prayer and self knowledge.
- Adultery = cheating someone and break marriage vows.
- Church teaches commandment forbids all sins against chastity. Includes; ***********, prostitution, ****, which undermine dignity of a person.
- Jesus said, 'Anyone who looks at a woman lustfully, he has already committed adultery with her in his heart.' (Matthew 5:28), 'The spirit is willing but the body is weak' (Matthew 26:41)
You shall not steal
- Christians respect the fair distribution of world's wealth and private property.
- Theft forbidden, includes; unjust wages, forgery, corruption, damaging things e.g. public facilities.
- Mustn't force people to work in harsh/undignified conditions for unjust wages.
You shall not bear false witness against your neig
- Christians called live truthfully
- Part of public/private living. Affects; work, community, friends, family.
- Forbids bearing false witness, perjury, lying (which distort truth) and slander, defamation, malicious speech (undermine reputations)
- Crime against truth. Undermines trust, friendship, community.
You shall not covert your neighbour's wife
- Christians overcome sexual thoughts/desires, linked to sixth commandment
- Thoughts lead to commandment being broken, show lack of respect and disloyalty to others.
- Seek pure heart and modesty, protect human dignity.
You shall not covert your neighbour's possessions
- Respect property of others.
- Greed, envy, covetousness must avoided. Wrong to live life for things can be bought and wrong to try and get as much stuff for yourself as possible.
- Covetousness, self-centred/selfish, against Law of Love. Jesus praises 'poor in spirit' (Matthew 5:3) and encourages then not to get attached to possessions.
- Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
- Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.
- Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown mercy.
- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
- Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
- Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- Blessed are you when people insult you,persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecute the prophets who were before you.
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the
- It is real
- In Old Testament, not good thing
- Jesus brought Kingdom of God; freedom of downtrodden, spend life with outcasts/poor.
- Poor in spirit = attitude of mind. Approach to life, humility and morality, not one of excess and self-centredness.
- God close poor because understand need for him.
- Christian life = simple life = detached from wealth.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comf
- Many evils in worlds/wrongs.
- People mourn because of this and wish of God's will to happen.
- Shows sense of suffering, not for won loss, but others.
- God brings people the comfort of heaven.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the ea
- Meek = humble/gentle, puts others before themselves.
- Jesus gave himself service others.
- Meek people recognise the dignity of human person and reward because of that.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righte
- Desire for religion/moral perfection
- Hunger after God's justice
- True happiness/satisfaction found with God.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall be shown
- Traditionally God shows mercy/forgives/doesn't give up on people.
- Showing mercy = showing love and forgiveness
- It is a big step to show mercy.
- Jesus forgives when on cross even though people don't ask forgiveness.
- Lord's Prayer 'And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.'
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see G
- Purity of heart = attitude committed/dedicated to God
- Thoughtless outward signs not good enough. Pure in heart = just/fair dealing with others.
- Some purity about clean, includes not eating the wrong foods.
- Jesus said 'people are not made unclean by what goes into mouth but by what comes out'
- Being impure inside can lead to breaking commandments
- To become pure in heart they must recognise their shortcomings/impurity and pray for God to help them.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be call
- Hebrew for peace = Shalom, translated as well-being, prosperity, happiness, fulfilment.
- Means more than lack of war but reconciliation of divided people.
- Christians bring divided back together = child of God.
- Jesus taught, to be at peace with God we must be at peace with everyone around us.
- Jesus reconciled everyone to God on the cross so he is the ultimate peacemaker.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteous
Blessed are you when people insult you,persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecute the prophets who were before you.
- Jesus' followers persecuted/reviled/suffer false accusation/mockery at others hardship.
- Persecuted because of faith are given share in heaven. Path to holiness is hard but reward great.
- Jesus is highest example, suffering at The Passion (Garden of Gethsemane), where he excepted crucifixion. The prophets who were concerned for just also persecuted.