- Created by: Maryam Mohamed
- Created on: 09-03-20 23:58
- The Chinese GDP between 1978-2017 increase signifcantly on average at 9%, more than the U.S. at 2% and Europe at 1.3%
- The GDP in 2017 was 11.94 trillion with GDP per capita at %16,600 (this is relatively low because of the huge population size.
- Transformation of the Chinese economy (1979 - 2017) the trade % went from 12% to 54%
- % of industrial employment went from 11% to 26%. They decided that there was more value added in the industrial sector
- Foreign trade has averaged near 15% in the same period.
- (2002) China was the first country since the 80s to attract more foreign investment in a year than the US.
- The main destinations for Exports where China sell their products. The first is the US at 18.2%, however, it decreased last year due to the trade war.
- The second being Hong Kong at 13.8%, although this has always been part of China. Third, is Japan at 6.1% who were once enemies and the last neighbour is S-Korea at 4.5%
- Imports have a more diversified spectrum, S-K at 10%, Japan at 9.2% and the U.S. at 8.5%. China has a surplus with the US because it sells more than buys.
- China’s piracy products. China’s cheap products make the challenge of being competitive still more difficult
NAME: The People's Republic of China
SIZE: 9.2 Million Km2
Population: 1.4 Billion (2018) - 1/5 of the population in the world
Languages: Cantonese, Shanghainese, Fuzhou
Regions: 23 provinces, 5 autonomouse regions (Xinjang and Tibet as the largest) and 2 special adminstrative regions (Hong Kong and Macau)
Main cities: Shanghai (biggest industrial and commercial centre), Beijing (political and cultural capital) - 10 million
Main ports: Tianjin, HK and Guangzhou
Racial groups: Han Chinese (90%) - Minorities: Hui, Uighur, Miao.
- China extended extended their spheres of investment towards the fields of commerce,finances, information, consultancy and real estate
- Of the biggest 500 multinational companies in the world 497 have invested in China
- In 1990 it became the world leader in the production of Cotton textiles and TV. Therefore, it has improved with regards to added value
- The Chinese model is to replace China’s model with the western one. Therefore, China has more than 50 brands of car companies.
TOP 10 Chinese Companies
1. Bank of china, 2. Ping an insurance. 3. China mobile communications – responsible for R&D. The main objective is to compete. 4. Huawei (telecommunication), the US consider it the most threatening because the government provides sub. 5. China South industries group
6. Haier - eletronics. 7. Tsingtao brewery. 8. CCTV – Television – this is a state company, that controls channels and content. 9. Air China. 10. Sihu.com - Internet