- Created by: hollie14
- Created on: 26-06-17 18:58
- Nativist view of language.
- Belives language understanding is innate.
- Believes the caregiver isn't necessary.
- We are born with the understanding of word order, regardless to the meaning.
- Language Acqusition Device- Hypothetical tool to help us learn language.
- Irregualar verbs. Exceptions to the rule.
- Disparages motherese.
- Virtuous Errors.
B. F. Skinner
- Behavourist view on language.
- Children learn by imitating language.
- Believed in Operant Conditioning - Using positive reinforcement to change a behaviour.
- Repetition is a basic feature of a child's speech.
- Supports motherese.
1981- 4 Stages of writing development;
- 2-7 years old, Wrtiting and motor skills develop. Basic spelling principles.
- 7-9 years old, Writing is the same as speech. Strings of and's in sentences.
- 9-13 years old, Differentiate between speech and wiritng. Common errors and drafting.
- 13- onward, Personal style is developed.
4 Stages of development;
- 0-2 years old, Object permanence, mental representation of objects.
- 2-7 years old, Symbollic thinking, egocentric thoughts.
- 7-11 years old, Logical thinking, converse number and mass.
- 11-onwards, Develop ability to think about concepts, logical hypotheses.
Zone of proximal development.
3 zones- Can't do something, Can do with assistance, Can do by self.
Words are signals:
- Primary signal- Literal meaning 'pen'
- Secondary signal- Words have meaning and ideas.
Children develop inner private speech by interacting with their environment.
3 Stages of representation:
- 0-1 years old, Display knowledge through actions, muscle memory.
- 1-6 years old, Learn information through images and storing.
- 7-onwards, Words and symbols to explain situations.
LASS- Language Acquisition Support System.
Interactions with caregivers to encouraging object visualization.