- Created by: charlotte f
- Created on: 24-05-11 17:08
- Additives make food last longer and taste better
- Food colours make food look more appetising- used in sweets, soft drink, mushy peas etc...
- Flavour enhancers bring out the taste and smell of food without adding taste of their own.
- Antioxidants help to preserve food.
- Emulsifiers help oil and water blend together in foods like salad cream and ice cream
- Antioxidants stop foods reacting with oxygen.
1 of 2
- Food 'goes off' if its stored for a long time because of bacteria or moulds which grow in or on the food and break it down
- Active and intelligent packaging form a barrier between the food and the outside world.They can control and react to whats going on inside.
- An example is self heating and self cooling cans.
- Self-heating cans cause an exothermic reaction
- Self cooling cans use evaporation to cool themselves down.
- Chemicals like silica gel remove water from inside of a product so that the food doesn't go horrible and mouldy.
2 of 2
Similar Chemistry resources: