Test for Starch
Gives blue- black colour with iodide solution
1 of 5
Reducing sugars Test
- Add 2cm3 of Benedict's reagent to same volume of sample.
- Heat in water bath.
- Brick red shows presence of reducing sugars
2 of 5
Non-reducing sugars test
- Same as reducing sugars test- showed no colour change.
- Using separate sample, boil with HCl for few minutes.
- Add NaOH to neutralise before adding Benedict's reagent.
- Brick red colour appears
3 of 5
- Shake some sample with 4cm3 of ethanol.
- Decant liquid into water.
- If lipids are present, cloudy solution is formed.
4 of 5
Test for Proteins
- Add 2cm3 of biuret solution to equal volume of sample.
- If protein present, lilac colour will appear.
5 of 5