- Disused and derelict plots of land are used for buildings.
- Stops the city growing in size at the expense of the surrounding countryside.
Conserving the environment
- Old industrial buildings can be turned into apartments.
- Rundown old houses can be redeveloped to provide housing in the future.
- Using more electricity generated renewably by:
- Solar power
- Wind power
- "Green spaces" act like "Green lungs" which reduces the impact on the environment.
- Recycling carbon reduces pollution.
- They provide a range of recreational opportunities.
- There is a wide variety of wildlife.
1 of 3
- Involve local people in decisions about their communities.
- Local councils consult people about a wide range of things.
- This makes people feel valued.
- It makes them aware that they have a voice.
2 of 3
- Reducing the number of heavy good vehicles.
- Reducing the need for long journeys.
- "Door to door" service.
- Restricted parking so streets aren't overcrowded.
- Cheap public transport and dedicated bus lanes.
- Ring roads that keep traffic out of centre.
3 of 3
Similar Geography resources: