- Created by: zopetre_
- Created on: 12-04-17 18:40
How to work out an ionic compound?
1) Write the symbols of the ions in the compound
2) Balance the ions so that the total number of + ions and - ions add to 0.
3) Write the formula without charges, put the number of ions of each element as a small number following/below the element symbol.
Rules of oxidation numbers
The oxidation number of an uncombined element is 0
The sum of the oxidation numbers in a compound is 0, in an ion it equals the overall charge
In compounds the oxidation numbers of Group 1 metals is +1 and Group 2 metals is +2
The oxidation number of oxygen is -2 in compounds except with fluorine or in peroxides
The oxidation number of hydrogen is 1 in compounds, except with metal hydrides
How to balance an equation?
1) Write a word equation
2) Write the symbols/formulae for the reactants and products
3) Balance the equation by multiplying formulae (if necessary)
4) Add state symbols