What is 'PTT'?
- PTT stands for Postal, Telegraph and Telephone.
- It is the name that is given to mail regulators (traditional and electronic).
- For example. BT and Royal Mail are mail regulators.
- Today Ofcom is the goverment body who oversees telecommunications standards in broadcasting.
What is the 'ITU'?
- ITU stands for The International Telecommunications Union
- They standardise and regulate international radio and telecommuniations.
- The roles include:
- Ensuring telephone services between countried without human intervention.
- Regulating the allocation of radio frequencies to ensure interference doesn't happen.
What is the 'ISO'?
- The ISO stands for the International Organisation for Standardisation
- Made up of national standards bodies.
- Not a government organisation but ISO standards are more likely to become law.
- Remit covers a wide range of areas:
- Defining units of time and measurement.
- Setting standard for CD formats.
What is the 'ANSI'?
- The ANSI stands for the American National Standards Institute
- They are the American representative of ISO
- The ASNI oversees the creation and use of thousands of standards
- Standards which are worldwide include:
- Film and shutter speeds in cameras.
- ANSI C - Standardised version of C programming language.
What is the 'IEEE'?
- The IEEE is the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers.
- It is the professional association for advancement of technology.
- World's leading authority on areas from:
- Areospace systems, computer and telecommunications to biomedical engineering, electric power and consumer electronics.
What is the 'BCS'?
- BCS stands for the British Computer Society.
- It is a leading professional body for those IT workers.
- International awarding body for qualifications for both users of IT and IT specialists.
- Objects are to:
- Promote the study and practice of computing
- To advance knowledge of an education in IT for the benefit of the public
What is 'ACM'?
- ACM stands for Computing Machinery
- It is the American equivalent of BCS
- It delivers resources that advance computing as a science and a profession
- Provide a Digital Library of computer science literature, publications, online books and courses.