The Alliance System
1 of 4
Kaiser Wilhems ll's aims in Foriegn Policy
- He wanted to be in the international limelight
- He saw himself as a heroic leader of Germany's army and the founder of a great nay
- He wanted make Germany the greatest nation (weltpolitik- world policy)
- He was jealous of the British Empire, he wanted to give Germany "a place in the sun"
- He tended to upset other countries by his strange habit of making dramatic statements
2 of 4
Morcoccan Crisis 1905 + 1911
- Morocco in North Africa was one of the few areas not controlled by a European power
- Britain had agreed not to oppose France its attempt to gain control of Morocco as part of the Ente Cordial
- He visited Tangier in Morocco, He rode through the streets of tangier on a white horse by a military band and morcan troops.
- He announced that Germany supported an independent Morocco which was open for trade and called and international conference to discuss the future of Morocco
- It tested the strength of the Entente Cordial
- The conference was held in 1906 at Algeciras in southern Spain. Austria- Hungary and Morocco supported Germany; Britain and Russia supported France.
- The reuslt was that germamy failed to prevent France from getting a foothold in Morocco and Entente Cordial was strengthened.
3 of 4
- 1908 a revolution in Turkey occured. Austria Hungary took advantage of this to annex Bosnia. This annoyed Serbia, but it was to small to resist Austria-Hunary, so it apealed to Russia for help.
- Wilhelm was annoyeed with Austria-Hungary becuase it had acted against Bosnia without consulting him, but he promised it his full support againt Russia.
Effects of the main powers
- Austria-Hungary now felt it had the full support of Germany, which affected how it acted in 1914
- Italy did not like Austria-Hungary expanding into the Balkans, so it became less keen on the Triple Alliance
- Russia was humilated by Germany, so Russia had military improvemtns in Russia.
- It brought Britain, France and Russia closer together as they all disliked Germany
4 of 4