CAUSES OF THE GREAT TERROR
CONGRESS OF VICTORS
- Celebration of Stalin's economic achievements.
- However when Congress voted to elect Centeral Committee Kirov won over Stalin receieving 1225-927 votes.
- Kirov was more popular
- Bolshevicks approached Kirov and tried to persuade him to stand as General Secretary.
- Felt he couldn't trust people within the Communist Party.
- Trotsky,Zinovieve,Kameneve and Buckharin had all had leading roles and had fallen from power, Stalin worried he would suffer the same fate.
- Fearful of old Communists who knew the truth about how Lenin felt about Stalin.
- Red Army may have too much power and many soldiers were faithful to their old leader Trotsky.
1 of 2
CaUSES OF THE GREAT TERROR
- It allowed Stalin to blame his problems on political enemies.
- on going problems of the Five Year plans could be held down to 'Wreckers'They were publically triled and punished.
- Provided a lhuge resevoir of cheap labour, people who were arrested were sent to gulags and were used as slave labour in big projects e.g Magnitorsk.
MURDER OF KIROV
- At the end of 1934 Kirov was a**ainated in Leningrad by a lone gunman.
- Stalin used this to arrest zinovieve and Kameneve, along with their closest followers.
- Stalin argues that Kirov's murder was evidence of a widespread conspiracy within the Communist Party to overthrow the goverment and restore capitalism to Ru**ia -This gave an excuse for Stalin to purge the party.
- Kirov'** murder was the trigger of the Great Terror.
2 of 2