- Created by: Megan0799
- Created on: 22-04-16 17:20
1870-1871- Franco Prussian War
- Prussia was the largest state
- Bismark wanted to modernise Prussia and unite Germany as one whole nation.
- France were wary of them and the French People were right to be wary.
- Napolean III had experienced some distastorous campaigns in Mexico and people were questioning his ablity to lead.
- Reluctantly declared war on Prussia and it was a disaster and lead to the Treaty of Frankfurt; Alsace Lorraine became German territory, France had to pay reparations and Germany was united under 1 leader Kaiser Wilhelm I.
Drama in the Balkans
- The Ottoman Empire- 'Sick man of Europe'. People in the Balkans wanted to rule themselves
- Bulgaria began to fight for indpendence '1875' the nation of Bulgaria was formed in 1878 under the Treaty of San Stefano.
- Russia wanted the Dardanelles and they had a religous link with those in the Balkans.
- Austria Hungary had lots of Balkan people living in her borders. She feared that they would try to revolt and her empire would fall.
1 of 1