What did they do?
This project began in 1994 by the Chinese Government - this is estimated to cost over $75 billion USD, the US Export-Import Bank refused to finance loans for this project.
- Built the largest hydroelectric power-station in the world!
- It was a multi billion USD project
- This took place on China's Yangtze River
Why did they do it?
- Intended to save lives --> controls flooding
- To generate 15% of China's electricity
- Produce hydroelectric Power (Clean energy) -->BETTER REPUTATION
- Environmentally friendly!
Economical ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES
- New navigation across the river --> efficient raw material transit --> economical growth
- reduced transportation & navigational transit --> cheap labour -->money!
- former farmers who lost their jobs because of this project no cater by driving boats across the river --> they earn money!
- tourism: in 2007 there were more than 800,000 tourists! --> $15 million USD
- This project is over $75 billion USD
- Locals had to resettle and leave their jobs
Social ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES
- Saves lives by controlling flood ( in the past - more than 300,000 people have been killed due to flooding in the river)
- Creates jobs for locals --> catering tourists such as boat drivers
- 1.4 million people had to resettle --> lost their homes and jobs
- --> The water levels rise to around 175 m above sea level
- Chinese workers have been working everyday for 14 years
Environmental ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES
- Generating clean energy by water passing through turbines (84.6 billion kilowatt hours = 19 nuclear power plants)
- Annual coal emissions reduced by 150 million tonnes!
- Environmentally friendly
- Landslides occur more frequently due to sea levels' rise and fall.
- Large amount of water behind the damn --> erosion when water rises and falls
- Ground water contamination --> 1 billion tonnes of water is released to the river --> animals such as the Yangtze river dolphins are endangered