Why operating here? - Sub contracting - gives contract to local textile firms to produce for them - keeps costs down. Can move production easily if costs go up.
Benefits to countries - Female employment.
Problems in countries - 4 to a rooom (rent home), 7 days a week work (3 refusal - fired), overtime is forced (6:15 am till 10:15 pm), £8 per week (legal minimum) & child labour under 14.
Benefit to countries -
- $54 month compared to $18 legal minimum,
- Good enviroment,
- Free meals,
- Training & new skills,
- Stable income - higher pay than farmers,
- Local factory owners adapting to new technology,
- More jobs - higher wages,
- Afford to spend child to school.