Roman Catholic Church
Roles of the roman catholic church
1 of 6
- group can be traced to is apostles
- unbroken line of succession of bishops laying hands by bishops makes them significant
- able to be a cardinal, archibishop and pope
- in charge of dioceses
- catherdral holds a seat for them
- only bishops can ordain clergy and presides over conformation
2 of 6
- currently 199 cardinals
- commonly referred to as princes of the church
- most occupy job of archibishops
- main role is to elect new pope which is done in a conclave
- only 80+ are allowed to vote for a new pope
3 of 6
Priest and Parishes
- diocese is split into parishes
- each parish has a priest
- priesthood started at the last supper
- main role is the power to forgive sins, sacrement of reconsiliations, confessions.
- another main role is to perform a eurcarist, to lead mass, represent christ.
- women are unable to be a priest
- responsible for leading worship and prayers within church
4 of 6
- ordained deacon is said to be a threehold
- which are word, litugy, and charity
- word is a christian message to preech and teach the bible
- litugy is to set public worship to support the priest, cant perform it though however able to carry out baptisms and marriages if no priest available
- charity is where deacons can anoint the sick or celebrate mass.
- deacons can not hear confessions or give absolution.
5 of 6
- laity means to be yourself
- the function is to talk about how the kingdom of god is spread
- lay minister uses the gift
- meaning the laity do hospital work, listening role, councilling and organising events.
6 of 6