What are carbohydrates made up of?
They are made up of carbon, hydrogen and carbon.
What are the classification of carbohydrates
Carbohydrates are classified according to the number of single carbohydrate molecules found in each chemical structure. They go as follows:
One carbohydrate molecule: Monosaccharides
Two carbohydrate molecules: Disaccharides
Three or more carbohydrate molecules: Polysaccharides
What are the sources of carbohydrates?
- Glucose: fruits, vegetables, honey, corn, syrup, molasses
- Fructose: free form honey, fruits
- Galactose: produced in the body during digestion of disaccharide lactose.
- Sucrose: cane sugar, beet sugar, fruits, vegetables
- Maltose: sprouting grains, malted cereals and drinks, fruit jelly, fruit jam
- Lactose: milk
- Starch: corn, rice, peas, beans, cereals
- Glycogen: found in liver and muscle
- Cellulose: dietary fibre