- Created by: Georgiauntisz
- Created on: 07-05-18 15:09
Mass Movements In Montecito, California
- Debris slides on January 9th, 2018
- Intense rainfall landed on bare, dry slopes where the water could not be absorbed.
- Ravaging wildfires had burnt vegetation
- 20 dead
- Houses destroyed
- Gas mains popped
- Areas covered in mud.
- 30,000 people evacuated
- U.S Army Corps of Engineers spent weeks clearing the area working 24 hours.
- Material cleared to beach sites. A health warning was issued about increased bacteria levels in ocean waters.
- 1,200 firefighters
1 of 2
Attempts to Reduce Debris Flows in California
- Hazard maps produced to shows areas suseptible to land slides.
- These maps are available on the Calfornia Geological Survey Website.
- Rock belts or netting are not appropriate on such slopes.
- Difficult to mitigate the issues due to the climate and slope composition.
2 of 2
Similar Geography resources: