- There are 5 main stages to be considered when manufacturing a product:
- Raw Materials converted into feedstock
- Synthesis (Chemical Reaction)
- Products are separated
- Dealing with the unwanted by-products
- Checking the purity of the product
1 of 3
- To be sustainable a process should be able to continue without causing damage to the environment, and without using up resources that can't be replaced
- There are 8 key questions which must be considered when looking at sustainability:
- Will the materials run out?
- How good is the atom economy?
- What do I do with the waste products?
- What are the energy costs?
- Will it damage the environment?
- What are the health and safety risks?
- Are there any benefits or risks to society?
- Is it profitable?
2 of 3
- The atom economy of a reaction tells us how much of the mass ends up as useful products therefore the formula for atom economy is:
Sum of RFM of useful products/ Sum of RFM of reactants
3 of 3