Mking life cycle assesments
Each product has 3 main stages:
- Manufacture (cradle)
- Disposal (grave)
The key features in a life cycle assesment include the following:
- The main requirements for energy input.
- The environmental impact and sustainability of making the materials from natural resources.
- The environmental impact of making the product from the material.
- The environmental impact of using the product.
- The environmental impact of disposing the product by incineration, recycling or landfill.
Materials and products
It is possible to mke a product from a different material for example, a spoon can be made from wood, plastic or metal. The life cycle assesments for products depend on the material they are made of.
A life cycle assesment can be used to compare and evaluate the impact of:
- Making a product from different materials,
- Making different products from the same materials.
Life cycle assesment outcomes
It is possible to make a life cycle assesment for a certain material, when doing this what needs to be considered is:
- the factors involved in the production of the material,
- The factors that involve each of the products that are from this material.