What is limestone?
- shells, skeletons of sea creatures and coral from billions of years ago
-CaCO3 (calcium carbonate)
Process of limestone quarrying?
How to minimise the disadvantages?
- Quarry during the day
-Use railways instead of lorries
-Restrict size of quarry
-Less but larger quarries
How to make quicklime?
- Add heat to limestone
-also produces CO2
-Calcium oxide (CaO)
What is thermal decomposition?
It is when you break down a chemical by heating
How to make lots of quicklime?
- In a furnace
-metal carbonate-> metal oxide + carbon dioxide
How to make slaked lime?
- Add water to quicklime
-Calcium hydroxide - Ca(OH)2
- add water to slaked lime- limewater
- limewater + carbon dioxide -> limestone + Water
- add more Co2 to make it colourless
What are limestones' uses?
- Cement- powdered limestone with clay
-Mortar- mixture of cement and concrete
- Concrete- water, rock, cement, gravel and sand
-Glass- sodium carbonate + sand