- A person who rules or guides or inspires others
- 'The leader always sets the trail for others to follow'
- Strict Discipline
- Giving orders to be obeyed without question
- "like it or lump it!"
Autocratic summed up:
- The boss takes decisions and criticism is unwelcome
- Instructions completed accurately and quickly
- When needing fresh ideas & proactive staff
- Employees are seen as a key asset
- Entrepreneur still has authority and takes decisions but takes a kindly and supportive approach to employees
- e.g. 'Please' and 'thankyou'
Paternalistic Summed up:
- The boss takes decisions and looks after his/her staff
- Motivates employees, and so improves performance
- Tasks not always completed in time allotted
- Involves employees in making choices and strategy of business
- Good democratic leaders 'empower ' employees
Democratic Summed Up:
- Views are sort before the boss takes responsibility
- Employees might produce better ideas, feel respected, valued and motivated
- Reaching decisions takes time
- Involves employees in making choices
Laissez-Faire summed up:
- Maximum independance/responsibility for each worker
- employees might produce better ideas, feel respected, valued and motivated
- Reaching decisions takes time!