Gladstone's first ministry 1868 - 1874
The DISESTABLISHMENT OF THE CHURCH OF IRELAND 1869
- The Anglican Church disestablished, Catholics no longer obliged to pay tithes (taxes)
- Irish bishops lost right to sit in House of Lords
- Church's property sold off and money split - priest's pension, secular (relief of poverty, education etc)
sucess: it did remove the main RELIGIOUS grievance of the Irish
The LAND ACT 1870 (first land act)
- The 'Ulster Custom' is recognised as law. (This ensured that tenants cannot be evicted as long as they kept up with rent)
- Unprotected tenants who were evicted were to be compensated according to a scale of damages
- All evicted tenants would be compensated for improvements
- Loads of public money could be advanced to tenants who wished to buy their holdings - THE BRIGHT CLAUSE
success:did go against laissz faire, and did represent an unparalleled degree of interference between tenants and landlords
BUT failure: fails to stop rents being raised unfairly, leases longer than 31 years (Not in Ulster custom) not protected by Act, doesnt stop manipulation by landlords, bright clause unaffordable, rural violence continued, tenants still lacked protection against eviction.
The IRISH UNIVERSITIES BILL 1873
No support for Gladstone from anyone - church, his party, parliament, because its meddling with the way some subjects are taught - theology, philosophy and modern history. He wanted to remove these - no religon, he wanted secular.