Concert Of Europe
After the defeat of Napoleon, the peacemakers at Vienna tried to prevent future European War by ensuring that no one European power had the sufficent militray strength to dominate the rest of Europe. This idea involved the Great Powers working together (in concert) to solve disputes.
Popular Discontent in Britain 1815-1820 - 1
- Liverpools government had scrapped the contracts for Arms and Uniforms due to the lack of need due to the Napoleonic war being over. This caused unrest because the people producing the Arms and Uniforms would have lost their jobs, causing unemployment.
- New machinery had been implemented in industry as part of the ongoing revolution. This cause unrest due to more people losing jobs, as the labour just wasn't needed due to the new machinery. This also led to a series of riots called the 'Swing Riots', where people known as the 'Luddites' who opposed the new machinery burnt farms and destroyed machinery.
- The Corn Laws of 1815 also caused popular discontent, as during the war the corn laws kept corn at a fixed price to stop competition from foreign exports, this meant that as landowners were making less money from corn, they cold charge a higher rent, then after the war they wanted to keep these 'War Rents' - and not being able to keep these caused discontent!
Popular Discontent in Britain 1815-1820 - 2
- The Demobilisation of thousands of British soldiers who flooded the labour market.
- The Scrapping of Income Tax was replaced by tax on goods. The poor before this hadn't had to pay tax and where now burdened wit having to pay tax on their spending.
Why Did Peel Repeal the Corn Laws in 1845?
The Rise of Chartism
What Was Chartism?
Chartism was a a movement formed by a group of working men, in hope to reform the voting system and get the working class the vote. Chartists were largely unsuccessful at convincing Parliament to reform the voting system of the mid-19th century; however, this movement caught the interest of the working class. The working class's interest in politics from that point on aided later suffrage movements.