If mothers can not breastfeed or prefer not to, they can bottle feed their baby.
The advantages include:
- Fathers may find it easier to feed their baby
- Parents know how much milk baby is getting
- normal routine can continue if mother goes back to work.
- Quite expensive to buy formula and equipment
- Takes time to make
- Everything must always be sterilized.
- formula must be added precisley to avoid problems.
care should be taken that babies are given as much contact and cuddles as they would do if breastfed.
Bottle feeding RULES:
Never reheat milk in microwave
never leave babies to feed themselves
always check use-by dates
Throw away unused milk left in bottle, do not reheat!
The government wants all mothers to breastfeed, however woman will choose depending on their personal wishes.
breastmilk is perfect for a baby, and for the first three days COLOSTRUM is produced which is a rich source of protien and antibodies.
Advantages for mother:
- Helps mother to regain her figure by using up calories
- helps uterus return to shape
- No equiptment needed
- No preparation and always available
- Milk can be expressed and refrigerated for 24 hours and frozen for 1 month.
- It's free!
Advantages for baby:
- Milk always contains the right amount of nutrients
- milk contains anti-bodies
- breastmilk is easy to digest
- The quality is consistent
- Reduces chance of eczema, nappy rash, gastroeneritis and obesity.
Some women choose not to breastfeed because...
they may feel embarrassed in public places, concerned the baby won't get enough milk, returning to work.