How problem was overcome
- Blood circulates rapidly (Harvey's discovery) , if major blood vessel is cut can easily bleed to death.
- Blood transfusions ometimes worked and sometimes blood clogged and they didn't know why.
- 1900, Karl Landsteiner discovered blood groups and found out that certain groups couldn't be mixed together or they would clog blood vessels.
- WW1 sodium citrate used to stop blood clotting when in contact with air, made it easier to store blood.
- Blood transfusions could replace blood when lost so people didn't die during surgery.
1 of 1