Plants need three main minerals so they can produce important compounds.
- These contain nitrogen for making amino acids and proteins.
- These are needed for cell growth.
- If a plant doesn't get enough nitrates, its growth will be poor and it will have yellow, older leaves.
1 of 3
- This is needed for respiration and growth.
- They contain phosphorus for making DNA and cell membranes.
- Plants without enough phosphates have poor root growth and discoloured older leaves.
2 of 3
- These are needed to help the enzymes needed for photosynthesis and respiration.
- If plants don't get enough potassium from the soil they have poor flower and fruit growth and discoloured leaves.
- This is needed in a smaller amount, its required for making chlorophyll (needed for photosynthesis).
- Plants lacking magnesium have yellow leaves.
3 of 3