What makes a healthy diet?
A balanced diet contains the correct amounts of:
- Carbohydrates - Release energy
- Proteins - Build new cells
- Fats - Store energy
- Vitamins - Work body healthily
- Minerals - Work body healthily
- Fibre - Help digestive system
- Water - Prevent dehydration
If you do not have a balanced diet you become malnourished
How much energy do we need?
Energy needed depends on different things:
- Males need more energy than females
- Teenagers need more energy than those over 70
- Pregnant women need a lot more energy
Food supplies energy to your muscles.
The amount of excercise you do affects the amount of energy you need. People who excercise regularly are mush fitter than those who do little excercise
Temperature can also effect the energy you need as well
Metabolic rate is the rate of chemical reactions in your cells
Men generally have a higher metabolic rate than women. The ratio of fat to muscle affects your metabolic rate. You can change the ratio by exercising as this affects your metabolic rate.
The metabolic rate is an inherited factor