- Created by: Almas
- Created on: 22-05-10 12:47
The nervous system ♥
The nervous system coordinates the body's responses to internal and external changes. Information as electrical impulses travel:
- From receptors to the central nervous system along sensory neurones.
- From the central nervous system to the effectors along the motor neurones.
The Brain sends Messages (Impulses) to the rest of the body.
The Brain is the central nervous system.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
Stimuli affect receptors in sense organs such as eyes and ears.
The organs that respont to stimuli are effectors - the muscles and glands:
- a muscle responds rapidly to information the brain sends as electrical signals.
- glands secrecte substances (e.g. nose detects food smells)
Some glands secrete hormones, chemicals that travel in the bloodstream to target cells or organs. Adrenaline from the adrenal gland mobilises the body for action.
there are two type of response: Short term responses (Blinking) and Long term responses (going toilet)